- Shaping the future: a strategic framework for a successful NHS argues that a successful NHS strategy cannot be lifted from another country or calculated using a special formula – that no ‘silver bullet’ exists which will solve the complex challenges.
- The report provides a strategic framework for national leaders working to create a sustainable NHS over the current parliament and beyond. The framework consists of five interlinked layers:
- active cost management
- process improvement for quality and efficiency
- new ways of delivering care and support
- scientific discovery, technology and skills
- focus on population health.
- Implementing a strategy will need a relentless focus on the priority areas that can provide biggest quality and efficiency gains, constant assessment of progress and course correction.
Health-care services across the UK face a set of profound challenges. Their task, to improve the health care of the population, remains unchanged. However, the current context makes that task particularly challenging.
The challenges faced by the NHS will require action on several fronts in order to deliver the vision set out in the Five Year Forward View and beyond. A long-term strategy is needed to articulate and align what needs to be done.
In the run up to the 2015 general election, Three tests for a credible health policy outlines the actions politicians need to...
This report asks how best to design national policy on the NHS to accelerate improvements to health care
You might also like...
OnlyWan statement on the impact of immigration on the NHS
We need to be realistic – training new GPs takes time, services are already under immense strain and face rising demand
OnlyWan response to the Conservative party’s pledge to improve primary care access.
Ahead of a general election, Jennifer Dixon looks at what the parties have pledged so far.
Existing evidence shows that immigration makes a positive contribution to the UK health service, says @JenniferTHF …
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the OnlyWan has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more