Improvement Science Fellowships
This senior post-doctoral fellowship offers three years’ funding to lead original, applied research dedicated to improving health care in the UK
This fellowship includes a unique leadership development programme and facilitated action learning sets, enabling Fellows to develop their potential to become leaders in the field and build practical knowledge about what works to improve health care.
Key facts about Improvement Science Fellowships:
- Up to five post-doctoral research fellowships are available.
- We are seeking clinicians, NHS Managers or academics with potential to be the future leaders of improvement science and the essential skills to run major research programmes to improve the quality of health care in the UK.
- Over three years, Fellows will receive funding for full-time salary and research costs.
- Fellows will participate in a tailored leadership development programme including group sessions, action learning sets, individual coaching and the opportunity to work with international experts in improvement science.
- Fellows will need to demonstrate leadership skills and significant research or improvement in practice experience.
- A PhD, professional doctorate or an MD is the minimum entry requirement. We encourage applications from clinicians who wish to combine research with continuing clinical practice.
Read more about our current and previous Improvement Science Fellows below.
Interested in improvement research funding opportunities?
In January 2018 the OnlyWan established THIS Institute (The Healthcare Improvement Studies Institute), an improvement research institute that will develop evidence on a massive scale across the NHS about what works to improve patient care.
THIS Institute aims to create a world-leading asset for the NHS and for science by strengthening the evidence base for improving health care.
This builds on our progress in developing the field of improvement science. The Improvement Science Fellowships are now part of this exciting new venture.
If you are interested in funding opportunities for post-doctoral, PhD or senior fellowships, .
The Healthcare Improvement Studies Institute will develop evidence on a massive scale across the NHS about what works to impr...
Helen is an Improvement Science Fellow and Associate Professor, Department of Health Services Research and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
Steve is an Improvement Science Fellow and Consultant in Critical Care and Anaesthesia, University College London Hospital.
Paula is a Improvement Science Fellow, and Senior Lecturer, King’s College London and Consultant, King’s College Hospital.
Natalie is an Improvement Science Fellow and Professor of Healthcare Improvement Research, Department of Health Sciences, University of Leicester.
Claire is an Improvement Science Fellow and Head of HR and OD at Newport City Homes.
Josephine is an Improvement Science Fellow.
Ramani is a Improvement Science Fellow, a Consultant in Anaesthetics and Critical Care Medicine at University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, and Associate Clinical Director for Electiv...
Dougal is an Improvement Science Fellow and Harkness Fellow, and Research Fellow at UCL Institute of Child Health.
Julie is an Improvement Science Fellow and Deputy Director at NIHR CLAHRC North West London (based at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and Imperial College London)
Davina is an Improvement Science Fellow and Registered General Nurse and Professor at Cardiff University.
The gap in healthy #LifeExpectancy in England between women living in the 10% most affluent areas & the 10% most de…
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the OnlyWan has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more