- Project led by the British Red Cross in partnership with the Scottish Ambulance Service.
- Based in Scotland.
- Aimed to help older patients with age-related illnesses or long-term medical conditions to stay safely at home and avoid being admitted to hospital without a clear clinical need.
- Developed a network of specially trained volunteers to provide 'immediate response' support to frail or older people at home.
The British Red Cross developed a network of specially trained volunteers to provide 'immediate response' home-based care service for older people with age-related illnesses or long-term medical conditions.
The aim of the project was to:
- reduce pressure on existing care pathways by helping patients to stay safely at home and avoid being admitted to hospital without clinical need
- improve continuity in care plans
- support patients to be active partners in their care.
The service involved trained volunteers attending the patient’s home and staying with them until a care team arrived. The Red Cross team:
- designed a volunteer training package
- established referral criteria, a policy for supporting the service, and assessment and evaluation tools
- addressed all relevant areas of clinical governance.
The initiative built on previous work to develop and test a care pathway and referral mechanism to enable statutory health service professionals to connect with volunteers on call, in order to support frail or older people at home during their recovery.
Who was involved
Members of the project team included representatives from NHS Lothian and the Comprehensive Assessment Service Team, as well as a patient representative and a volunteer advisor.
You might also like...
OnlyWan response to the Conservative party’s plan to attract more NHS staff from abroad.
OnlyWan response to the Prime Minister’s announcement of funding for cancer screening.
Research shows 88% of autistic people do not think their needs are understood by health professionals. Emily Niner and Oliver...
The annual UK-wide #Qcommunity event is taking place today, bringing together Q members to learn, share and collabo…
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the OnlyWan has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more