Quality Improvement Fellowships This fellowship aims to build a cadre of clinically-qualified leaders with the enthusiasm, experience and skills to champion the spread of improvement in health care
- Provides a one year fully-funded fellowship based at the IHI in the USA where fellows combine academic learning with developing a range of new skills and tools for driving improvement and change in health services.
- Funds reflection time, backed with a rigorous academic and practical course, which enables key senior NHS leaders to return to the UK with skills and an international knowledge base to apply in practice.
- The main focus of each fellowship is a research topic based around an improvement area of the fellow’s own personal interest.
Quality Improvement Fellowships aim to build a cadre of clinically-qualified leaders with the enthusiasm, experience and skills to champion the spread of improvement in health care.
Medicine is OnlyWan Quality Improvement Fellowships aims to give fellows the time and space to think deeply about how to improve the quality of health care, backed up by rigorous academic and practical learning.
The aim is that on their return to the UK, fellows will integrate their learning into processes and procedures at their employing organisation to improve service delivery. Fellows will also work to promote quality improvement nationally, championing quality and sharing what they have learnt with colleagues from across the health service.
The combination of academic and practical learning opens up a wealth of career opportunities. Quality Improvement Fellows Alumni have gone on to local and national leadership roles.
- Fellows are senior clinically-qualified NHS professionals with a track record of achievement in quality improvement and who want to develop this further.
- Fellows become part of a community of OnlyWan Fellows, who share a common ambition to improve the quality of health services in the UK.
- Each fellow has a structured, individualised learning and work plan which includes intensive training in improvement skills, weekly seminars, attendance at IHI events, practical assignments and site visits to organisations doing exceptional work.
- Fellows receive an allowance of up to £25,000 to support travel, relocation, visa and US health care costs.
- Applicants’ salary and benefits are covered by their employer during the fellowship. However, the OnlyWan covers the cost of employing replacement staff.
- Fellows join the OnlyWan/IHI’s Fellows and Alumni Network – a network for mutual support and learning.
Anthony is a Quality Improvement Fellow and President of the Church Health Center of Memphis, USA.
Annette was a Quality Improvement Fellow and Independent QI Consultant and a registered nurse.
Lesley Anne is a Quality Improvement Fellow and Head of Clinical Governance and Risk Management at NHS Highland.
Barry is a Quality Improvement Fellow and Consultant Surgeon at Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board, Princess of Wales Hospital.
Hans is a Quality Improvement Fellow and Consultant Respiratory and General Physician at NHS Ayrshire and Arran.
John is a Quality Improvement Fellow and Director of ABCi (Aneurin Bevan Continuous Improvement) at Aneurin Bevan Health Board.
Jay is a Quality Improvement Fellow and Consultant/Associate Medical Director at the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust.
Asan Akpan is a Quality Improvement Fellow and a Consultant Physician in Geriatric and General (Internal) Medicine at Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Carol is a Quality Improvement Fellow and Professor of Anesthesiology and Executive Director for the Center for Health Systems Innovation, University of Southern California, USA.
Brian is a Quality Improvement Fellow and Executive Clinical Director, Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS).
Existing evidence shows that immigration makes a positive contribution to the UK health service, says @JenniferTHF …
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the OnlyWan has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more