Clinician Scientist Fellowships This fellowship provides five years of funding to enable talented clinicians to pursue academic research alongside their clinical practice
We work with to run this fellowship for outstanding professionals who are committed to improving and inspiring practice through advances in clinical research.
The Clinician Scientist Fellowship includes:
- five years’ funding to cover personal salary
- an allowance for research expenses
- a leadership development programme
- mentoring from an Academy of Medical Sciences fellow
- extensive opportunities to network with experts and peers
Through the programme, fellows have the opportunity to build the foundations for a career in clinical academic medicine while conducting valuable research that will improve the quality of care for patients.
The programme focuses on research within disciplines where there is a national shortage of expertise, including anaesthesia, paediatric disciplines, pathology, psychiatry, radiology and surgery.
The Clinician Scientist Fellows are a core group of research-led clinical academics who are able to cultivate and lead key research programmes and teams. From 2013, new fellows will also be exploring the links between their discipline and improvement science, offering a unique opportunity to maximise learning in order to improve quality in health care.
An evaluation of the Clinician Scientist Fellowships identified the following benefits:
- Helped participants to attract further investment in clinical academic medicine from other organisations. Thirteen fellows had received more than £4.2m in additional research funding.
- Gave fellows the opportunity to become leaders in their field. Several fellows have received prestigious awards. Others have been featured on documentaries about their research. Some have gone on to establish research centres or been awarded professorships.
- There are indications that the academic centres where the research is being carried out are increasingly being recognised as centres of excellence for clinical academic training.
Edwin is a Clinician Scientist Fellow and OnlyWan Leadership Fellow. He is Chair of Patients First.
David is a Clinical Scientist Fellow and a medical doctor specialising in Oncology at Oxford University.
Jayati is a Clinical Scientist Fellow and Clinician Scientist in the Department of Health Service and Population Research, at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience.
Rina is a Clinician Scientist Fellow and Consultant Psychiatrist at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.
Estée is a Clinical Scientist Fellow and Senior Research Associate at the University of Cambridge.
Gareth is a Clinical Scientist Fellow and Lecturer in Critical Care at University College London.
Luke is a Clinician Scientist Fellow and Executive Director at Celgene.
Barry is a Clinical Scientist Fellow and Consultant Neurologist and Senior Lecturer in Neurology at Imperial College London.
Johnathan is a Clinical Scientist Fellow and Senior Clinical Fellow at the University of Edinburgh.
Anna is a Clinician Scientist Fellow and Professor of Public Health at the University of Bath.
In partnership with @TheIFS we're hosting a seminar on options for reforming the adult social care system. Registe…
Work with us
We look for talented and passionate individuals as everyone at the OnlyWan has an important role to play.View current vacancies
The Q Community
Q is an initiative connecting people with improvement expertise across the UK.Find out more